My suggestions

Post here your comments and thoughts about the game, talk with others and have fun!
jnl.42

My suggestions

Postby jnl.42 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a kart racer from Australia, I found this website from a post on kartbook.net, I'm also an iRacer (I recognize at least one name on here). I see that a heap of things are planned and in production which is great, and considering the game is so young I think it is really good so far.

Anyway, after a week of playing I have devised these things which I think can be improved:

Login form
It would be good to get a more conventional form for the login so web browsers can remember passwords. A 'keep me logged in' feature would also be useful. It is a bit of a pain having to log in every time I play.

Setup
There are a few points I have so I'll list them;

- I'm not sure if it is a translation thing or what, but the correct terminology for what is labelled as 'wheelbase' is actually 'track width'. Not a bit issue, but a little confusing at first.

- Finer and more accessible increments would be good. I have noticed that 0.5% change can change your laptime by 3-5 tenths sometimes which is a real pain considering it is so hard to change the settings by 0.8% let alone 0.5% or less. It would be better to have maybe a plus button up top of the slider and a minus button underneath which changes in 0.1 increments with a left click and 1.0 increments with a right click or something similar.

- The ability to save and name setups would be handy, especially going from track to track.

- More setup options, such as bar settings (front and rear crash bars, side pod bars, front and rear torsion bars), caster, camber, ride heights, seat positions (big one), axle grades, front and rear hubs, rim types etc. instead of suspension rigidity.

- Real measurements would be better, too. For example, instead of seeing 50% gearing, 100% rear track, 75% front track, 50% tyre pressure I would like to see 12/82 gearing, 1400mm rear track, 1130mm front track, 11psi tyre pressure. Even if this is fudged and not derived directly from real data it would be better than what we have.

Risk
I would like to see the risk a bit more usable, for example, when I use 25% risk every second or third lap is 0.5-1.0 second or sometimes more slower. If I want consistent testing I have to use 0%, which makes sense in a way, but isn't really how it goes in real life as if you don't drive fast the kart won't work in the same way it would if you do drive fast. For example, in testing I drive at 85-90% of what I'm capable, and make a mistake once every three or four laps costing 0.1-0.2, compared to qualifying where I drive at 95% and might make a mistake on every second lap again costing 0.1-0.2, usually no more than that. Risk should alter the frequency of mistakes much more than the penalty, in my opinion.

New feature: driver feedback
I know there is already heaps to be developed, but I think driver feedback both on it's own driving and on the setup would be awesome. For example:
"I made a slight mistake at T3 costing 0.1, and I could have gone 0.1 faster through T7. The kart is understeering at corner entry and oversteering at corner exit, I am losing time coming out of T4 because it is bogging down. The chassis is bottoming out in T8 but we are not losing much time from it."

New feature: data output/telemetry
If we could have some kind of data to look at that would be really helpful, maybe just a basic spreadsheet with graphs of the revs, speed, driver inputs and a map of the track would be enough. Tyre temperature would be really good too, although I'm not sure how advanced the simulation is. If we could use data along with basic driver feedback we could make informed setup changes rather than just guess and go with what's fast like we currently do.

That's all I can think of for now. :D
manager

Postby manager » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Nathan!

Thanks for this huge feedback. I really appreciate that!
Some of things you mentioned are already on our development list, such as: save/load setups or basic telemetry (on the begining there will be only speed chart).

Also thanks for the track width terminology. As you mentioned it is a translation thing.

Changing setup and login things: we will put them on the list, but not sure when we can add them. There are several more important things at the moment.

More setup options will come with higher kart series. I am not sure if all of them (remember that this game is not only for real drivers, so it can't be too much complicated!).

Real measurments... hmmm it sounds like a good idea, but to simplify the game we decided to go with % at the begining.

Risk: We still have improvements to this. There will be energy and concentration attributes that will influence how big and how many mistakes will driver do. Now there are lot of mistakes with higher risk because when you begin playing this game, you are unexperienced. Imagine what can happen if rookie driver drive fast kart for the first time and go 90% risk. He would probably go off on first or second turn :)
As your skills improve, you will be able to use more risk. More concentration you will use, the less mistakes you will make, but you will also loose more energy points.

Feedback is one of hardest things to implement. I think that we can start doing it after most of planned work is done. Maybe we can ask you for a little help then?
jnl.42

Postby jnl.42 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Yeah I thought that would probably be the situation, I know that is a massive amount of work and I wouldn't expect it to all be done at once, I just thought of everything I could which would make the game as awesome as possible. :D

If you ever want advice or help with anything, big or small, just send me an email (nathandunnett(at)me.com) and I'll see if I can give a hand. :)
gomel

Re: My suggestions

Postby gomel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Nathan Dunnett wrote:
- Finer and more accessible increments would be good. I have noticed that 0.5% change can change your laptime by 3-5 tenths sometimes which is a real pain considering it is so hard to change the settings by 0.8% let alone 0.5% or less. It would be better to have maybe a plus button up top of the slider and a minus button underneath which changes in 0.1 increments with a left click and 1.0 increments with a right click or something similar.

You can change settings with 0.1% step using up and down keyboard buttons. First use mouse to move slider than use arrows buttons on your keyboard to precise parameter. Same for risk (left and right buttons).
manager

Postby manager » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:33 pm

And what is not so noticable, you can edit values manually by keybord. Just click on the number and edit using numbers on you keyboard. You can delete values using delete/backspace button too
jnl.42

Postby jnl.42 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:42 am

Well, I did not know that haha thanks.

Another suggestion: ghosting world record. At the moment I have the fastest time in my league (48.5) but I want to find out where I'm losing time to the record (48.0). According to the splits it is in sector 3 but I don't know if it is because of gearing or what.
manager

Postby manager » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 am

At the moment, drivers and their cars are on the same level in all leagues. But it will change in some time when we add sponsors, money and car parts management. It will cause that higher leagues will have better car and drivers and since then comparison to record holder can be useless.
Anyway we will add this to our backlog and maybe add this as a more "entertaining" then "useful" feature in future.
Victordr

Postby Victordr » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:42 pm

In the future, when races appear, we will start the laps with some speed,because of the previous lap. So what we have now, of starting the laps stopped, with 0km/h, doesn't make much sense.

In future races we won't do that, and the same happens with qualifyings, if we do first the out-boxes-lap, the good lap, and the in-boxes-lap.
Don't know if I explained well :P
manager

Postby manager » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Yes, you explained it well. But I will surprise you - you will get chance to drive more than one lap in few days :) So first lap will be always "out of pits" lap and next lap will be "the quick one". Starting from upcoming Monday (or next Monday latest)
Victordr

Postby Victordr » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 am

Michał Augustynek wrote:Yes, you explained it well. But I will surprise you - you will get chance to drive more than one lap in few days :) So first lap will be always "out of pits" lap and next lap will be "the quick one". Starting from upcoming Monday (or next Monday latest)

Oh, great, though that will make useless to do only 1 lap, because in the second you are extremely faster :)

Return to “General Discussions”